Topicality of the research. Sexual violence against children is a wide-spread phenomenon, from violence in the family to violence in the society. Sexual violence can have such consequences as crime of under-aged and adult persons, depression, anxiety, prostitution, running away from home, alcohol and drug violence. It’s alarming to parents, educators, services for protection of children’s rights and other professionals taking care about preventive actions, and therefore the necessity to solve this problem is growing.
The object of the research. Sexual violence against younger school-age children and its prevention.
The aim of the research. To investigate the educators’ attitude towards the expression of sexual violence against younger school-age children and to reveal the preventive actions being performed.
The following objectives have been raised for implementation of this research aim:
1) Having analysed the scientific literature, international and national documents, to define the concept of sexual violence, its spreading, expression, its consequences and prevention.
2) To clarify the expression of sexual violence against younger school-age children and its prevention at school.
3) To find out the difference in the educators’ attitude towards sexual violence against younger school-age children and its prevention, with consideration of the educators’ age, work experience, education and qualification category.
4) To reveal the peculiarities of the educators’ opinions about making the preventive activities against the sexual violence against younger school-age children more efficient.
Coverage and organisation of the research. The survey using questionnaires was performed in 5 schools of Mažeikiai city: Ateities primary school, Vyturio primary school, Žiburėlio primary school, Kalnėnų secondary school and Jagmino primary school. Totally, 101 educators took part in the research.
The main conclusions on the research:
• The research results indicate that the educators’ age, work experience, education and the qualification category influence the educators’ attitude towards sexual violence against younger school-age children and its prevention.
• The results of this research highlighted the directions of the primary school educators’ preventive actions against the sexual violence against younger school-age children: the importance of the diversity of educational methods; the active participation of parents, as a condition of success; targeting of the activities to children; influence of existence (non-existence) of the school strategy; the need for raising the educators’ competence, significance of cooperation between authorities. The earliest possible prevention and intensity of preventive actions appeared to be a condition of effectiveness.
Raktažodžiai: Sexual violence, prevention, children