The object of this work is emotional evaluation while translating from Lithuanian into English. Emotional evaluation means the opinion of the subject (an individual or a group) regarding the assessment of a certain object that can not be viewed as a logical decision but expresses feelings and emotions of the speaker.
The translation of emotional evaluation from Lithuanian into English has been little analysed, so the aim of the work is to explore possibilities of the rendition of the emotional evaluation from Lithuanian into English.
The aim of present study into investigate the ways of rendering objectives emotional evaluation in translation of B. Sruoga’s novel Dievų miškas into English.
The objectives of the study are as follows:
1. To define expressivenes and emotional evaluation.
2. To analyse the role of metaphors, phraseological units, similes, ocassionalisms, pejoratives, diminutives, rhetorical questions and exclamations in emotional evaluation.
3. To analyse the ways and means the emotional evaluation into English.
4. What is the aspect of the word meaning and how it is reflected in the translation;
Emotional evaluation has been analysed by Russian researchers: Lukjanova (1986), Ariutiunova (1982), Galkina-Fedoruk (1957); Lithuanian lingvists: Gudavičius (2000), Pikčilingis (1967, 1975), and foreign scientists, such as Arnold (1975), Nida (1975) and Beiker (1992).
The study was carricdont by using contrastive and descriptive methods.
The examples from the novel by Balys Sruoga “Dievų miškas” (1979) were gathered and compared with the translation into English (Aušrinė Byla, 1996).
After exploring 220 examples in Lithuanian and English texts, the following conclusions were made:
1. There was no major problem in translating words which have an aspect of evaluation as part of their meaning, e.g. some verbs denoting movement.
2. The use of diminutives in both languages is very different, although true: minuteness, kindliness and positive (more seldom, negative) evaluation is expressed. Lithuanian diminutives are mostly translated by using constructions with adjectives small, little, tiny, poor, in short, with adjectives that make them
Raktažodžiai: emotional, vertinimas, tranlation, vertimas, evaluation, emocinis